Although specific fibroid causes are uncertain, the National Institutes of Health estimate that nearly 80 percent of women over the age of 50 have some form of uterine fibroids. Some women may have fibroids, but not experience symptoms that affect their daily life. You can live with fibroids for years and not know you have them until your doctor discovers it during a routine pelvic exam. If you have symptoms of uterine fibroids, you doctor may order an ultrasound and lab tests. If traditional ultrasound doesn't provide enough information, your doctor may order other imaging studies, such as an MRI.
Fibroid removal isn’t as straightforward a subject as you may suspect. There are several different fibroid treatment options available. These treatment options may include watchful waiting, hormonal treatments, minimally invasive procedures like Uterine Fibroid Embolization, myomectomy and in some cases hysterectomy.
Fibroid removal doesn't have to mean major surgery. A fibroid center in NYC — at VIVA EVE in Forest Hills can provide you with a top-notch team and the best fibroid surgeon. Our team of board-certified physicians and caring staff will guide you through diagnosis and treatment options. Our state-of-the-art center for uterine fibroids has the latest technology to help our experienced fibroid specialists to make a correct diagnosis and to suggest the best course of treatment.
To Treat or Not to Treat
Fibroid removal is a field of medicine that has undergone many improvements in recent years. Most surgical procedures can now be performed laparoscopically. This means that instead of making a large incision that can take considerable time to heal, your fibroid doctor is able to achieve the same results with a couple of very small cuts that heal much easier — with significantly less recovery time. When you and your fibroid doctor are deciding on the best course of treatment, several factors need to be taken into consideration:
- How serious your symptoms are
- The location of your fibroids
- How many fibroids you have
- The type of fibroids you have
- The size of your fibroids
- Your age and whether or not you still want to have children
It’s possible that the growths inside of your uterus aren’t causing you any discomfort. But if you’re living with the pain and discomfort that can often accompany this condition, you should visit a fibroid clinic and consult a gynecologist specializing in fibroids and fibroid removal.
Time to Weigh Your Options
Living with the constant pain and pressure that can result from tumors growing in your uterus is usually enough of a reason to encourage you to seek a fibroid specialist in NYC. The fibroid symptoms may include:
- Significant increase in menstrual flow
- Frequent urination due to pelvic pressure
- Difficulty emptying your bladder
- Possible trouble conceiving or complete infertility
- Complications during pregnancy
- Pain during intercourse
Overview of Fibroid Removal
You will want to learn about and evaluate the different options for fibroid tumor treatment. Even if you and your uterine fibroid specialist decide that fibroid surgery is the best course for you, the decisions don’t end there. Your best method to remove fibroids depends on several factors:
- Location of your fibroids
- The number of tumors you have
- The size of the growths in your uterus
- The severity of your menstrual symptoms
- If you’re hoping to become pregnant
Based on these key factors, your fibroid tumor treatment is individualized to suit your specific needs and goals. The most common surgical procedures include:
- Endometrial ablation, a procedure that destroys the endometrium – the lining of your uterus – with the goal of reducing your menstrual flow. In some women, menstrual flow may stop completely. Endometrial ablation is not a form of fibroid removal and is not recommended if you hope to become pregnant in the future. It’s ideal if you’re seeking to relieve the heavy bleeding that results from fibroids. General anesthesia or epidurals are typically administered for pain. No incisions are needed, your doctor inserts slender tools through your cervix — the passageway between your vagina and your uterus. The tools vary, depending on the method used to destroy the endometrium. Some types of endometrial ablation use extreme cold, while other methods depend on heated fluids, microwave energy or high-energy radio frequencies. Endometrial ablation can only be used to treat submucosal fibroids that are less than one inch in diameter.
- Myomectomy is a surgical procedure used to remove fibroids, noncancerous tumors that grow in or on the muscle lining of the uterus. Since it does not involve the full removal of the uterus, in many cases this particular procedure helps preserve or improve the woman’s fertility. VIVA EVE offers the most advanced fibroid treatments options available in the USA. Come see our new cutting edge, state-of-the-art fibroid treatment center and meet our doctors to get the pain relief you need in the safe, reassuring hands of the best fibroid specialists.
- Hysterectomy is a major operation that’s only recommended if other treatment options have been unsuccessful and no other method would work for the patient's specific symptoms.
You Have Other Options
Surgery isn’t the only means of fibroid removal. If you’re looking for fibroid treatment without surgery, some effective, minimally invasive procedures are available. Your New York City fibroid treatment center offers all of the cutting-edge technology uterine fibroids treatment. These include:
- Uterine fibroid embolization. If your main complaints about your condition are the heavy bleeding and pain, this may be a good option to consider because it can shrink your fibroids and ease your symptoms. Following this procedure, your fibroids shrink and often die, allowing your uterus to return to normal. This procedure is extremely safe and 90% effective.
- Focused MRI-guided ultrasound. This technique uses sound waves and an MRI scanner to heat up and destroy your fibroids without ever having to break your skin. High intensity focused ultrasound waves are used to heat an area of the fibroid, causing cell death. Pulses of ultrasound energy are repeatedly applied to treat the fibroid. During treatment, magnetic resonance images are used to enable the doctor to see the fibroid and surrounding organs in 3-D, pinpoint, guide, and continuously monitor the treatment in a non-invasive manner.
There are several other options that are currently being offered by various medical facilities, such as:
- Myolysis uses either heat or an electrical current to destroy fibroids and their blood supply.
- Cryomyolysis is conducted in the same manner as myolysis, but uses cold to freeze your fibroids off.
The research to prove whether these treatments are medically sound is still ongoing.
Fibroid removal is safe and effective when performed by the qualified and experienced professionals at VIVA EVE, a center for uterine fibroids in NYC. When you’re ready to start researching your options, please look for a “fibroid specialist near me,” and in Queens one of the first results you will see will be VIVA EVE, The Fibroid Experts.