When you consider how to treat uterine fibroids the best doctors in NYC that are part of the fibroids treatment center of VIVA EVE will suggest a number of options, ranging from a wait-and-see approach to radical surgery. Our state-of-the-art center for uterine fibroids has the latest technology needed to make a correct diagnosis and to suggest the best course of treatment.
Statistics show 30 to 50 percent of women with uterine fibroids will seek treatment for heavy periods, pelvic pain, and bulk symptoms like urinary pain and pressure.
A lot of women with fibroids will ask their doctor to try pharmaceuticals as their first line of defense. Categorized into two groups, the following medications have been shown to help ease fibroid-related discomfort, either by managing symptoms or reducing fibroid size.
Fibroid tumor treatment is a highly specialized field. Several different conditions with similar symptoms can lead to misdiagnosis. The VIVA EVE center for uterine fibroids has been leading the way in diagnosing and treating fibroids and reproductive issues for years.
At VIVA EVE, a fibroid clinic in Forest Hills, Queens, you have access not only to the best fibroid surgeons, but also to a team of experts who listen to your concerns and recommend the uterine fibroids treatment to suit your situation. For many young women, hormone treatment for fibroids is an ideal solution.
Fibroids are non-cancerous growths usually found inside your uterus. They can cause a variety of bothersome and uncomfortable symptoms. While some women never experience any discomfort, your symptoms may directly impact your quality of life. For example, your fibroids can cause infertility. Fibroid treatment without surgery may be an ideal option if you still want children.
If you’re tired of living with the discomfort and search for a “fibroid specialist near me” you will find the best specialists that will provide you with counseling, guidance and advice on how to treat your fibroids.
Best Treatment Options for Uterine Fibroids
Your fibroid specialist determines the best way to treat fibroids on a case-by-case basis. Your symptoms and your circumstances are the largest determining factors. Your surgical options include:
If you’re looking for a non-surgical solution, your uterine fibroid specialist has other options as well. Hormone treatment for fibroids has proven to be highly effective and is a completely non-invasive addition to fibroid treatment options. Hormone treatment for fibroids is largely based around regulating your hormones with birth control. Options include:
- Oral contraceptive pills containing estrogen and progesterone. These are often able to decrease the unpleasant symptoms that your fibroids cause during your menstrual cycle, such as:
- Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine systems like Mirena release a form of progesterone hormone into your uterine cavity. It reduces the amount of blood you lose during your cycle. This type of hormone treatment for fibroids achieves this result by thinning the lining of your uterus. It’s considered by some to be an excellent option for specifically addressing symptoms of heavy blood loss.
- Gonadotrophin releasing hormone (Gn-RH) antagonists comprise a hormone treatment for fibroids administered by injection. It’s especially useful for shrinking the size of fibroids by switching off your ovulation and lowering your estrogen levels. While this treatment also helps reduce blood loss during menstruation, you can only get one dose every six months. Prolonged use has been linked to an increased risk of osteoporosis. Your fibroid doctor may recommend it to reduce the size of your fibroids prior to surgery.
- Danazol reduces the size of your fibroid tumors, as well as treats several other conditions. It’s also useful to halt menstruation. Since it’s a type of synthetic androgen like testosterone, it’s a highly effective hormone treatment for fibroids because it significantly reduces the number of hormones produced by your ovaries. This treatment is best administered by a gynecologist specializing in fibroids due to the potential side effects. Other conditions and symptoms relieved by this medication include:
- Lupron is a hormone treatment for fibroids that shuts down your body’s overproduction of certain hormones temporarily. This halts your natural estrogen production and sends your body into a mock state of menopause. The goal of this treatment is to shrink the size of your fibroids and alleviate your symptoms.
A Quick Fix
Medications for uterine fibroids target hormones that regulate your menstrual cycle, treating symptoms such as heavy menstrual bleeding and pelvic pressure. They don’t eliminate fibroids, but may shrink them. The side effects of using these medications are similar to the symptoms experienced as a result of hormonal changes during and after menopause. These include weight gain, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, mood swings, changes in metabolism and infertility. In almost all cases, once hormone therapy has been stopped, fibroids tend to grow back, possibly reaching their original size again. This often occurs if the use of hormone therapy is not accompanied by another treatment.
As a result, hormone treatment for fibroids is seldom recommended for long-term use due to the potential side effects. And they aren’t a cure for fibroids and have little effect on the tumors themselves other than to shrink them. They do have a place as a fibroid treatment without surgery, as long as they’re taken responsibly.
Hormone therapy should only be done under the supervision of a fibroid treatment center. They’re only safe and effective when conducted under the care of a uterine fibroid specialist in NYC. These therapies have the ability to offer relief from many of the symptoms you’re suffering.
Additional non-surgical solutions for your condition include uterine fibroid embolization and dietary changes. But for more lasting relief from your condition, begin discussing your options right away with the best fibroid surgeons in NYC that a pert of the VIVA EVE team. These highly skilled professionals can evaluate your case to ensure you receive the best treatment for fibroids.
VIVA EVE was founded by a team of specialists who felt that women should be able to choose their own path with their doctor's support. VIVA EVE helps women regain control over their treatment of uterine fibroids by providing all medically sound options.