The effects of fibroids on pregnancy is an important consideration to make when planning to start a family. If you are pursuing a course of fibroid treatment prior to getting pregnant, VIVA EVE is a fibroid clinic in New York City that tailors individual treatment plans with consideration to each woman’s needs. As a fibroid center that solely focuses on uterine fibroids, they’re knowledgeable about fibroid treatment in relation to fertility. Make an appointment today to get advice from the best fibroid doctor in NYC.
Fibroids are tumors that commonly grow in the wall of the uterus, and less commonly, on the outside of the uterus, just underneath the uterine lining, or on small stalks inside or outside the uterus. By the age of 50 and the onset of menopause, it’s estimated that up to 80 percent of women develop fibroids at some level.
Fibroids and pregnancy are associated for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is changing hormones. An increase in estrogen appears to have an effect on growing fibroids. While estrogen may play a part in fibroid development, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll get pregnant faster. In fact, fibroids can hinder pregnancy, so if you’ve experienced difficulty conceiving, seek treatment at a fibroid treatment center for more answers.
Visit a Fibroid Specialist in NYC
The best method to remove fibroids is one that allows you to achieve your goals. For many women, alleviating the pain, excessive bleeding and severe cramps is reason enough to seek the best treatment for uterine fibroids. For others, preventing infertility is the primary motivation for seeking help from the best fibroid doctor in New York City.
Fibroids Treatment and Pregnancy
It’s totally possible that you either have fibroids prior to getting pregnant or develop them while you’re carrying a baby and never even know it. In fact, it’s common to learn about the presence of fibroids during a routine ultrasound. When you don’t have symptoms, you may decide to adopt a wait-and-see approach, but even so, it’s advisable to include a gynecologist specializing in fibroids on your healthcare team.
Having a fibroid ultrasound at regular intervals at your center for uterine fibroids can help you monitor the progress of your pregnancy in relation to the growth of your fibroids. If fibroids get larger than five centimeters, they can cause other health problems that can affect a successful pregnancy through:
- Placental abruption
- Pre-term delivery
- Cesarean delivery
- Breech delivery
- Restricting fetal growth
Fibroids Natural Treatment
Some women prefer trying natural alternatives for treating fibroids. At VIVA EVE, a uterine fibroid specialist NYC can address your concerns and provide helpful information on the alternatives you have in mind.
Talk to your fibroid doctor about safe supplements to take during your pregnancy. Try other common natural remedies such as:
- Avoiding sex, especially if intercourse causes pain
- Ice packs
- Losing weight
- Change your diet
- Warm baths
- Massage sessions
How to Treat Uterine Fibroids
The best fibroid surgeons in NYC understand that surgery is just one option for treating fibroids. At VIVA EVE, board-certified gynecologists, interventional radiologists, and surgeons unite to help maintain your ability to conceive in the future. To that end, they’ll always explain how to treat fibroids and the effects each procedure has on your fertility.
The fibroid tumor treatment options and their effect on your pregnancy include:
- Uterine fibroid embolization. The procedure cuts off blood supply to the fibroids and is usually successful in maintaining fertility in young women who choose this minimally invasive procedure. It’s considered the safest and best treatment for fibroids.
- Myomectomy. This is a major surgery for fibroids, but if you wait long enough, usually six to 12 months after the surgery to allow your uterus to heal, you shouldn’t have any trouble conceiving.
- Hysterectomy. The removal of your uterus during this procedure is radical and completely eliminates your ability to get pregnant.
- Hormone treatment for fibroids. Hormones such as birth control pills and other options do provide fibroid treatment without surgery and almost always allow you to become pregnant again once you stop the treatment.
- Adenomyosis treatment. When resorting to surgery to treat this uterine condition, your uterine fibroid specialist tries to preserve your fertility, but that’s not always possible, which is why less invasive natural treatments are more appropriate.
- Endometriosis treatment. Treatment options don’t usually leave you infertile, but they also may not cure the condition permanently. In vitro fertilization is often a choice for pregnancy if you have endometriosis.