Uterine fibroids are a common gynecological condition affecting as many as 1 in 5 women of childbearing years. Although these tumors are benign, they can have serious complications, like heavy painful periods, and may interfere with your ability to get pregnant. Infertility treatment can take many different avenues, but when you rely on the best fibroid surgeons in NYC that are part of the VIVA EVE center for uterine fibroids, you can expect to be offered the best possible treatment option that is right for you and your unique situation.
Infertility and Fibroids
The direct link between infertility and fibroid tumors has been irrefutably proven by countless studies. The specialists at VIVA EVE have the unique expertise and state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to determine whether the fibroids are the reason for your infertility. The proper diagnosis of fibroids and the assessment of the number, size, and location of the tumors is the first step. This can help to ensure the best approach for treatment, thereby offering the greatest chances of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy.
There are several reasons that fibroids can lead to infertility:
- Fibroids can cause changes in the shape of your cervix, possibly restricting the sperm from entering.
- If there’s a fibroid, the uterus’ ability to move the sperm out toward the egg, or the fertilized embryo back toward the uterus, may be compromised
- If the shape of your uterus is altered, this can also hinder sperm from proper contact with the embryo.
- Fibroids can have a definite impact on the lining of your uterine cavity.
- In order for it to grow and develop, it is necessary for an embryo to implant itself in the uterine lining. If the blood flow is compromised due to a fibroid, it can present problems in this process.
Types of Fibroids
There are different types of fibroid growths, and each impacts fertility differently.
- Submucosal fibroids, which protrude into your uterine cavity, present the biggest obstruction to conception. Simply removing or shrinking them may resolve your infertility problems. This type of fibroid causes heavy periods or bleeding between your periods.
- Intramural fibroids grow between the muscles of the uterus. This type of fibroids can potentially require infertility treatment. Intramural fibroid treatment, especially for the larger tumors, may also require removal.
- Subserosal fibroids grow on the outside of the uterus. This type of fibroids rarely interferes with the woman's ability to get pregnant, unless it grows to the point that it could cause problems.
Treatment Options at VIVA EVE in Forest Hills
Just because you have not yet been able to conceive, doesn’t mean you that you won't be able to get pregnant in the future. There are many treatments options available that can provide relief for symptomatic fibroids, but a woman who wants to conceive must also consider whether they are fertility-friendly. Various treatment options are available from your uterine fibroid specialist. The best fibroid surgeons in NYC that are part of the VIVA EVE team (and gynecologists specializing in fibroids) will go over all the medically sound treatment options with you and make sure you are comfortable with the plan of action.
The treatment options may include:
- Performing uterine fibroid embolization, which is a minimally invasive procedure that blocks the blood supply to the fibroids, shrinking them over time and leaving the rest of the uterus untouched
- Prescribing medication to help you ovulate
- Performing fibroid removal procedures
- Beginning hormone therapy to correct imbalances, adjust the length of your menstrual cycle or even treat endometriosis
- Undertaking minor fibroid surgery in NYC to remove any blockages or scar tissues
Helpful Tips From the Infertility and Fibroid Specialists at VIVA EVE
Because your health and well-being are very important to your fertility team at VIVA EVE, you'll receive instruction about the steps you can take to reduce your risk of infertility, such as:
- Stop drinking alcohol. If you consume alcohol — heavily or in some cases even at all — it can cause your fertility levels to lower.
- Lower your caffeine intake. According to the Mayo Clinic, less than one 12-ounce cup of coffee shouldn’t keep you from getting pregnant. Any higher, though, and it could have a negative impact on your ability to conceive.
- Limit the stress in your life.
- Stop smoking. Smoking is not only bad for fertility, it’s bad in general. And it’s better to quit before you get pregnant, as stopping once you’re fertile again could add to your daily stress.
- Keep a normal, healthy weight. The harder your body must work to sustain an overweight or underweight body, the more other functions such as ovulation are naturally hindered.
VIVA EVE Has Long-Established Partnerships With the Best Fertility Experts in NYC
The VIVA EVE team relies on fibroid experts who have set the New York City standard for fibroids treatment. They take care of fibroids and the infertility they can cause.
We also have great established relationships with the best infertility experts in New York City and we work very closely with them in coordinating care for women trying to conceive.