When you’re searching for fibroid causes, you need the best fibroid doctor in New York City. At VIVA EVE in Forest Hills, you found a “fibroid specialist near me” who can provide the latest testing and treatment techniques to ease your pain and suffering. Whether you end up needing fibroid surgery in NYC or simply advice on lifestyle changes to rid your body of fibroids, you’ve found a fibroid clinic that takes care of you.
The best fibroid surgeons in NYC call fibroids by other names, such as: leiomyomas, myomas, fibromas and uterine myomas. No matter what you call it, a fibroid is an abnormal growth on or in your uterus. Some fibroids can grow quite large, causing discomfort and other symptoms that require a gynecologist specializing in fibroids.
Although specific fibroid causes are uncertain, the National Institutes of Health estimate that nearly 80 percent of women over the age of 50 have some form of uterine fibroids. Many women are asymptomatic, but there comes a time to see the best fibroid doctor.
Symptoms Requiring a Fibroid Specialist in Forest Hills
Doctors at a center for uterine fibroids in New York City diagnose the type of fibroids you have, most of which are usually benign. Symptoms may include:
- Heavy bleeding, often with the presence of blood clots
- Pain in your pelvis, low back or legs
- Increased menstrual cramping
- Pain during intercourse
- Increased need to urinate
- Inability to fully void
- Pressure or fullness in your abdomen
- Low back pain
- Swelling in some areas of your abdomen
Although fibroids by themselves don’t usually cause miscarriages, they can accompany other conditions that make it difficult to get pregnant or bring a pregnancy to full term. Pregnancy problems and labor issues may increase with the presence of fibroids.
Risk Factors Associated with Fibroids
Definitive fibroid causes haven’t been determined, but some underlying factors seem to correlate with a tendency to have these growths. Your fibroid specialist in NYC reports that fibroid causes may relate to:
- Family history. A genetic predisposition may increase your odds of having fibroids.
- Age. Your chances of fibroids increase with age.
- Hormonal conditions. Estrogen and progesterone have been suggested as fibroid causes due to their role in regenerating the uterine lining between periods.
- Pregnancy. The increased hormones your body produced during pregnancy may encourage fibroid growth.
- Environmental factors. Fibroid causes may be linked to early onset of menstruation, use of birth control pills, vitamin D deficiency and a diet high in red meat and low in fruits and vegetables.
- Ancestry. African American women tend to have greater occurrence of fibroids, suggesting a genetic component.
- Growth factors. Insulin-like growth factor medications have been associated with fibroid degeneration.
- Body weight. Individuals fighting weight gain are more likely to have fibroid issues.
- Red meat, alcohol and caffeine. High consumption seems to increase the risk for fibroids.
Diagnosis and Treatment at a Fibroid Clinic
Fibroids require treatment by a uterine fibroid specialist for one in three women with fibroids. At your fibroid treatment center in Queens, you can expect quality and experienced care from the initial diagnosis all the way through the appropriate treatment.
Your fibroid doctor takes a thorough medical history, discusses your symptoms, conducts a pelvic exam and performs lab tests. You may need an ultrasound or pelvic MRI to determine hormone levels and placement of any fibroid growths. Treatment can include:
- Stress-reducing activities such as massage, yoga or acupuncture — to improve flexibility and blood-flow, better distributing your body’s healing properties
- Diet changes to avoid red meat and high-calorie foods, replacing them with green leafy vegetables, fruit, green tea and cold-water fish, such as tuna or salmon
- Losing excess weight
- Medications such as gonadotropin-releasing hormone (Gn-RH) agonists to regulate hormones or tranexamic acid to ease heavy bleeding
- Birth control pills, another form of hormone regulation
- An IUD to interrupt the growth of the uterine lining
- Over-the-counter pain relievers for pain control
- More invasive techniques — such as forced ultrasound surgery (FUS), cryomyolysis, endometrial ablation, uterine artery embolization or surgery to remove fibroids or your reproductive organs, depending on your child-bearing age and desires.
Your Uterine Fibroid Specialist in NYC Has Answers
The best fibroid doctor always attempts the least invasive techniques first while helping you manage any discomfort. If you aren’t experiencing any significant symptoms, your specialist at the fibroid center in NYC may recommend a wait-and-see approach. Fibroids often shrink during menopause, so your doctor takes your age into consideration when discussing your treatment at the fibroid treatment center.
Your fibroid doctor helps you determine what factors have caused your fibroids. If the fibroids interfere with your fertility desires, your doctor works to find the best treatment that fits your lifestyle. Open and honest communication with your uterine fibroid specialist at VIVA EVE helps determine the best course of treatment for you.